A Student’s Perspective on the College Admissions Scandals

Brandon Fuller, Student Contributor

Recently, the College Admissions Offices have been at the center of a scandalous conflict. Currently, 15 parents are caught up in legal charges. They have been accused of bribery, lying about SAT scores and high school transcripts to admissions offices. Parents paid between $15,000 and $75,000 for an imposter to take the SAT’s for their children. 

One of the popular cases includes actress Lori Loughlin’s case. Loughlin and her husband Mossimo Giannulli have pleaded not guilty to federal fraud, bribery and money laundering conspiracy charges. These accounts are held under the fact that they paid $500,000 to the scheme’s mastermind, Rick Singer, and a USC athletics department official to ensure a spot at the University of Southern California for their two daughters, Isabella Rose and Olivia Jade. The would gain acceptance into the university as tagged crew recruits; although, neither girls played the sport. 

The amount of evidence in some of these cases includes undeniable emails, phone calls, and admissions. As I am a Junior in high school, these scandals shed new light on the dark side of college, and how far parents are willing to go to ensure college acceptance for their children. 

“Weinberg said the high volume of email, phone logs and other documents turned over the case is “almost unquantifiable,” making it”impossible” to thoroughly comb through.”(Garrison) These parents obviously care not only about how their children impact their own reputation, but also their children’s future success. However, these scandals often make me consider, how can people cheat on a perfect test like the SATs? Would my parents lie for me? What is that teaching children as a parent? In my opinion, by allowing unfair admissions advantages, this directly tells children dishonesty and scamming the system is valid in life.    

Hypothetically, a student who may have the same GPA and SAT scores as a student who cheated to achieve the same score doesn’t have equal opportunities in college admission. It is extremely unfair if a position is awarded to a cheater and not a student honest and worthy of that same place. 

In order to prevent this issue from reoccurring, I believe those who cheated on the test should not be eligible for colleges and should be unable to take another College Board test. Along with their previous scores should also be suspended. I do not believe the parents should go to jail, however, they should be fined heavily. It is only rightful that children should not suffer for their parent’s misconduct in the slightest.