Autumn Spirit Week 2019

Skylar Mink, Staff Writer

New Milford High School’s 2019 Spirit Week kicked off less than a month into school on Monday, September 23rd.

Spirit week is a five day long school-wide event organized by the Student Council to promote school spirit, the start of the football season, and to increase school morale. This week hosted a wide variety of themed days, all of which received high participation from students. 

Monday was the much loved Tacky Tourist day, where students dressed in Hawaiian shirts and binoculars. Next was Twin Day where students displayed their matching outfits. Wednesday was America Day. The student body wore red, white, and blue to show their patriotism. Thursday was Retro Day where students dressed from different decades. This year was a little out of order with Freshmen having fifties, Sophomores having the seventies, Juniors with eighties, and Seniors in sixties attire. The week concluded with Green and White Day and the Fall Pep Rally. As with previous years, students gathered in the bleachers or on the football field to watch or participate in fun spirit week contests including tug of war and the football toss.

In addition to the Pep Rally, many students went to the Homecoming game that night to show support for the Green Wave. The majority of students participated in a black-out by dressing in all black clothing. Featured in the halftime show were the New Milford Cheerleaders, the Dance Team, and the marching band with their theme of The Twilight Zone. 

The New Milford High Green Wave was victorious at our Homecoming game against the Hamden Green Dragons, 30-29. 

The following night was the Homecoming Dance, one of the most memorable events of the school year, and closed out spirit week 2019.