• February 20Send suggestions to [email protected]

• January 16Check out our Twitter @TheWaveReview

Connecticut Athletes compete in the 2018 Winter Olympics

Jimmy Lewis

The Summer Olympics may grip the attention of a wider scope of Americans, but the Winter Olympics are a collection of superb athleticism and skill in their own right. While individual athletes such as Mikaela Shiffrin and Shaun White or popular sports such as hockey may be grabbing the headlines, a whopping eight of the United States athletes hail from Connecticut in this year’s Pyeongchang games.

The Connecticut natives range from Ridgefield to Westport to Madison, and compete in a variety of sports from luge to ice hockey to figure skating. Perhaps most notable among these stellar athletes is Julia Marino. After an impressive showing in early rounds, this Westport-born snowboarder will be competing in the Big Air Finals soon, hoping to swoop in and come home with a medal. In general, the slopestyle competition is more her speed, but treacherous winds have characterized these games and made it difficult for her and many others to put their best performances on display. Sticking with snowboarding, Roxbury native Lindsey Jacobellis qualified for the 2018 Olympics as well. While not much of a force this go-around, 2018 was her fourth shot at the Olympics and she is twelve years removed from clinching a silver medal in the Turin, Italy Olympics. Men’s Ice Hockey Forward Mark Arcobello is another significant athlete, his hometown being Milford, Connecticut. A former Yale standout, Arcobello net his first goal of these games in the United States’s 5-1 victory over Slovakia in a do-or-die matchup.

While the United States may not dominate the winter circuit as well as they do its summer counterpart, they are among the top medalling nations and the games are a monumental spectacle in their own right. Be sure to tune in as the games wind down and support athletes who grew up not far from New Milford.

(Photo via Hartford Courant)