• February 20Send suggestions to [email protected]

• January 16Check out our Twitter @TheWaveReview

Green Wave Wrestling aims for great success

Taha Rao

Year after year, the New Milford High School Wrestling team has proven it is a force to be reckoned with. Last season the squad took home yet another SWC banner and placed second in states after Bristol Eastern broke their four year streak by only one point. The team hopes to continue their success and build onto their legacy as they head into the 2016-2017 season.

The squad has been working relentlessly in the offseason with the hopes for redemption in states. They have participated in many programs ranging from school affiliated summer programs to private institutions. Much of the team also participated in helping out the Sherman Wrestling Club and Youth Program of New Milford, focusing some of their attention to working with youth wrestlers and helping them hone their skills. “It’s just as important for us to work with New Milford’s future wrestlers as it is for us to work on improving our own skills.”
said Kyle Fabich, a Senior wrestler at NMHS, “I think we have all done our part of off-season work and now it’s time for us to look forward and focus on our season.”

With their first win of the season against Stratford, the team then went on to portray their habitual success at a tournament in Withersfield. Although having lost many key competitors, the squad still shows lots of promise with returning competitors like Senior Captain Mel Ortiz. The squad has high ambitions as well as expectations, so they are committed to bring home yet another SWC banner and Class L state title. “This season should be focused on getting the state title back and winning opens,” Senior Captain Vincent Rago said, “I think we are well prepared and it should be a very competitive season.”

From the looks of past seasons, the NMHS Wrestling team should have no trouble reaching their goals. However, prosperity will not be handed out on a silver platter. The team hopes to continue their reign of dominance by devoting effort and countless hours towards the SWC banner and state title. With the bar set so high, the squad is looking towards tremendous payouts.