• February 20Send suggestions to [email protected]

• January 16Check out our Twitter @TheWaveReview

Team chemistry shines through on Volleyball court

Shane Fedigan

The New Milford High School volleyball team did not have the beginning of the season they were hoping for. Coached by Anthony Nocera, the team has gone up against some formidable opponents to start their season, weakening their record. They have started out with a record of 1-11, but do not let this fool you. The team has played some formidable opponents in order to enhance their skills.

Wilton, Newtown, and Brookfield are just a few of the top teams the Green Wave has played, and the girls gave them a run for their money. Newtown beat them in three sets, but only won one of the sets by five points. The girls also went the distance with Wilton, with Wilton narrowly beating them in five sets. Most games are very competitive and have high levels of play, but the Green Wave just comes up short in the end.

The team is senior-heavy, with ten out of the thirteen members getting serious playing time. The captain, Abbi Debes, is a solid middle player for the squad. The seniors are looking to build structure and create team chemistry and are doing a fine job of it. Coach Nocera has said the team has acted more like a family than any other team he has had in the past.

When asked about the season thus far, senior Makayla Brown said, “Our record isn’t what we thought it would be, but once we start executing, our combination of skill, team chemistry and competitiveness will win out.”

Although their record does not show it, the Green Wave has a good competitive nature and show signs of high levels of play. Watching matches are exciting and the passion for the game shows through, as the back row does not let the ball drop. The girls are continuing to improve and build a further bond, which can only help their cause. Hopefully, things will start clicking and the wins will follow.