Should School Start Later?

Ciara Lynch, Staff Writer

While many schools are making the transition to later start time, some are still skeptical of its advantages. Schools are a place of learning and academic and extracurricular success, but how can we expect students to achieve these high successes without adequate sleep? 

Given an extra hour in the morning, time asleep jumps from an average of 6 and a half hours to nearly 8 and a half hours. The results of this small shift are astounding. 

A study from the University of Washington found that when later start times are implemented, grades soar and tardies and absences are reduced. This creates a better and more nurturing learning environment. Schools should not add stress or create tough conditions for students, they should create a safe space where students can thrive. As shown, this small step will make a huge difference.

Student’s grades are shown to be suffering heavily from lack of sleep. During sleep, your brain stores information in your long term memory, providing results from all that studying. Without it, that time spent studying goes to waste and grades will not reflect the effort made. Soon, students will give up studying since it’s not helping without sleep, and their grades will suffer even more. 

Many students seek extra help because of their low grades, and teachers aren’t always available. Having that extra time in the morning makes it easier to go for help since those times open up. This will increase that student’s grade and take some stress off. 

Some say that student-athletes will suffer from this pushback. The only difference will be the time. They’re likely to fall asleep at the same time but they’ll be able to get more sleep. Since they’re well-rested, they’ll have an easier time focusing on their homework, so it’ll take less time. 

Let’s all take this step together, not only towards a better learning environment but towards better student health too.